Sunday, October 01, 2006

ARGH!

OK... it's easier for me to write a web page than to do this blog!

This is a picture of the felted cozy I made for DH's MacBook. I designed the pattern myself and needle felted his initials on it. It was my first attempt at needle felting so I'm fairly satisfied with how it turned out. One of his students suggested mass producing it HA! My nephew saw it and wants one, of course in a different design. He'd like his to be portrait instead of landscape with a handle... so I'm designing and knitting that one now. This is made from recycled wool from a sweater that I bought at the boutique at the rink in town a while back. I doubled the yarn to make it about Lopi weight. Felted it makes a nice fabric. The buttons are from my LYS Tangled Yarns on Main Street. She has some great wooden buttons in there... love that place


Next are some dishcloths that I've made since joining the Monthly Dishcloth KAL:
This one is the September pattern of Oak Leaf.. knit in Lily's Hot Apple Green... I forget if it's Sugar and Cream or Peaches and Cream... I'm sure if you're reading this though you have some idea of the cotton yarn I mean. This was the firstreal KAL I had ever done. I had participated in a KAL for a felted purse (which was my first felting and disastrous I might add!)

This is the mid-month KAL... pretty pattern in a pastel ombre that matches my Corelle wear.. a long retired pattern of peach hearts and flowers and mint accents that is reminiscent of PA Dutch designs. The design is along the border. The rest of the plate is off-white. As you can see, I ran out of yarn with 2 rows to go and didn't have this color in my stash, so I finished it with what I had on hand... which was hot orange. The only hands that will be using this one are mine, so to me it doesn't matter. I think I'll make this one again and gift it to someone on my holiday list!

This one I found the pattern on the net. It's a Jack-o-lantern.... good for this month! I forget where I got the pattern though. If I remember where it came from I'll post it. My students don't call me Dory for nothing!

The Oct KAL started today and I'm knitting mine in KnitPicks Shine worsted weight in ebony. It's 60% pima cotton, 40% modal. I've heard that it works beautifully. I love how it shows the stitch definition and it's so soft as well. I think this yarn would make a wonderful cotton top for someone!

Yesterday DD and I went to ACMoore for their 25% off yarn sale. They had some ladies who work there showing off their skills. One was knitting with one of those circular looms, another with needles and one crocheting and helping people with questions or teaching them how to do it. DD decided she'd like to learn to crochet.... which I can't really do, so we're learning together. I have the SC down now.... Who knows when I'll have time to do more?

Well that's all for today. I want to figure out how to add a FO section. (if indeed that's possible)

5 comments:

Pamela Foreman said...

Love the MacBook cover! Been meaning to make a cover for my iBook, just haven't done it yet! It's on my list to do when I finish all these other projects. Great job on the blog so far!

CraftyCarole said...

Thanks Pamela... it's funny I've had my PowerBook for well over a year now and I still have no cover. I have a padded bag though so I shouldn't complain. Making a cover is WAY less expensive though. Next Apple project is to make cozies for our iPods.

Carol said...

Nice cloths! I like the mid-Sept one :)

CraftyCarole said...

thanks carol. kills me that I ran out of yarn though, I just *had* to finish it that day though LOL

mathjosi said...

Wow! I love the felted laptop case and that you made it from recycled wool. I'm working on my own blog about starting a group to take action in NYC schools to start recycling programs. www.educatingtomorrow.org

Check it out!