Friday, April 06, 2007

Heart *felt* gifts - warning picture heavy

To start with, remember the felted LTK mocs I made for my mom? Well they were a tad too big, so home they came and back in the washer. Now they really should fit her perfectly. They tightened up in the width pretty well and didn't lose that much length, I'm happy to say


And now for the Easter project. I made this Spring Basket pattern for all three of my kids. Pre-felting it was floppy and messy looking. In fact DS2 thought they were hats. So I took a picture of all 3 in their 'hats'. They are pretty big for their heads as you can see.


But after felting, I love them. They're just large enough for the knitted peep, a CP Easter egg a Josh Early chocolate bunny and some small assorted candies






Pattern: Y2Knit Felted Spring Basket March 2005
Yarn: Patons 100% Classic Merino (about half a skein)
Color: Rosewood
Needle: Size 11 Knit Picks Options and Size 11 bamboo dpns

Pattern: Y2Knit Felted Spring Basket March 2005
Yarn: Patons 100% Classic Merino
Color: Denim
Needle: Size 11 Knit Picks Options and Size 11 bamboo dpns


The red one is still felting (it's third time through). The Paton's took one cycle in the machine but I used a different wool for the red one (see this post) and it's turning out a bit larger. I'm sure DD will have a fit that her brother's basket is bigger than hers... oh well... tough nooggies. I have to say, I like hers the best though. I love the way the colors of the varigation felted. The sides are stripey, the attached i-cord is chunks of color and the bottom is so cool the way the colors pooled. But I'm sure her 7 year old mind won't process all that.

I'll definitely make this pattern again... probably for gifts. It would make a great teacher/day care provider gift because it knits up pretty quickly and doesn't use much wool... You may even be able to get by on a 50g skein, although I can't guarantee that.

I was knitting the Monthly Dishcloth KAL in hot orange and once I realized it was the three crosses I frogged it. It just didn't seem right to knit that image in hot orange. Raisin would be a better color I think. And I'm not sure I want to do dishes with a cross cloth, so I'm going to adapt it as a bookmark and knit it in Paton's Grace in the purple color, with only one cross instead of three. Hmmm, something else to finish before Sunday!

happy crafting

4 comments:

Jess said...

Carol, those look fabulous! Bookmark! lol!

Thanks for your comments about the Peepers! I'm ordering some today! :)

hakucho said...

Wow, those baskets are fantastic!

happy knitting :)

g-girl said...

i really, really love how your DD's basket turned out! great colors! I've already saved this pattern for myself for my niece for next year! :)

CraftyCarole said...

do yourself a favor and make it bigger....