Sunday, November 09, 2008

stitch or frog

I've been spending so much time unraveling thrift store finds lately that I was thinking/fearing I had lost my knitting mojo. That and the fact that all I can do lately it seems is sleep.....

But DH was at the NATS meeting yesterday (an all day event) so I had the 3 cherubs to tend to myself. And DS2 had gymnastics class in the AM... Off the 4 of us went the older to with their Nintendo DS in hand and me with something to frog and a project (with yarn and needles) in mind. A friend had a baby boy in May and I finally gifted her with a hat that I had knitted up during the ravelympics. There was yarn left and I was thinking a
nice pair of thumbless baby mittens would be a nice accompaniment. Never got to it.. until yesterday morning. Here they are with the pattern to follow. I think they may be a bit big, but the longer they'll last that way.



babymitts


Pattern: my own - see below
Yarn: Paton's Rumor - alpaca blend
84% acrylic, 15% alpaca, 1% polyester
Weight: Bulky
Color: Halcyon Heather
Yarn Gauge: 12S x 17R = 4x4 inches on US 10.5 needles
My Pattern Gauge: 13S x 18R = 4x4 inches on US9 needles
Needle: US9 dpns (set of 5)
Recipient: art baby


NOTE: If choosing a worsted weight yarn, you'll have to do the math to get gauge.
PATTERN
CO 20 stitches with the longtail cast on.
Divide over 4 dpns 6, 4, 6, 4 (stitches per needle)
Mark beginning of round
Join in the round with K1P1 ribbing for 5 rows
Divide stitches evenly over the four needles (5 stitches per needle)
Knit even for 10 rows

Decrease
Round 1:
  • Needle 1: SS k2 together then K remaining 3 stitches
  • Needle 2: K 3, K2tog
  • Needle 3: SS k2 together then K remaining 3 stitches
  • Needle 4: K 3, K2tog

Round 2: K even
Round 3:
  • Needle 1: SS k2 together then K remaining 2 stitches
  • Needle 2: K 2, K2tog
  • Needle 3: SS k2 together then K remaining 2 stitches
  • Needle 4: K 2, K2tog

Round 4:
  • Needle 1: SS k2 together then K remaining stitch
  • Needle 2: K 1, K2tog
  • Needle 3: SS k2 together then K remaining stitch
  • Needle 4: K 1, K2tog


Place the stitches from Needles 1 and 2 together on one needle
Place the stitches from Needles 3 and 4 together on one needle


Kitchener the 8 stitches (4 and 4) to close


Crochet a single chain to attach to the mittens or knit a single stitch i-cord (if there is such a thing)

I used less than 1/2 of the skein for these mitts, including the attached cord.

©Carole Burkhardt 2008. I retain all rights to this simple pattern.
Feel free to use this pattern, but please link to my page rather than repost it as your own. I hate that I would even have to add that
If you use this pattern, I'd love to see pictures! Enjoy

I found the yarn on sale at Michael's (perhaps a close-out) for $2 for the skein. There was only 1 skein in the bin. Maybe your local big box has some that they're still closing out!



OK... back to dyeing more sweaters green. So much to do, so little time!

1 comment:

g-girl said...

the mitts are so teeny and so cute! love the attachment!